Embryo Transfer Photo Essay

I promised a photo essay of the pictures from the day we transferred the embryos. I was so impressed by St David’s amazing staff, the professionalism and perfection that everything was performed with. Completely smooth and  easy.

We arrived about 1100 and received a room and some fuzzy slippers. Of course, they were burnt orange- we are in the home of the longhorns. I wasn’t sure that I could bring those home and be allowed in the house so they sweetly obliged me with some red and white aggie slippers……or Sooner slippers in our case!

Next we waited and they gave me a valium because it decreases smooth muscle contractions and makes sure everything is nice and relaxed.

Tom (the embryologist) arrived and reviewed our embryos with us. This was a lot of information to take in at once and try to keep all straight. I did the best I could.

At 1230 they took me to the procedure room where there was a huge TV just above the procedure table and the ultrasound monitor.

The Big TV

Dr S explained that we were watching a video of the microscope in the next room (the lab).

First they showed us our name on the bottom of the petri dish. After that they showed us the embryos in the dish. Two initially then the three.

Two of the Embries

All three

After that the placed a “straw” in the dish and we watched as they sucked themselves up into the straw. We watched and they then got a small amount of air into the end of the straw.

Babies in the Straw- Getting a dot of air DSC_2175 So Cool- look at them go!

Tom then came in the room where we were watching and using an ultrasound we watched the dot of air go out of the straw. Under ultrasound you cannot see the actual embryos- only the air….this is why they get a small amount of air.

The ultrasound screen

Next he went back to the microscope where he pushed everything in the straw back to the dish. Sure enough ocho (as I like to call one of the embryos) remained in the tube. He repeated the process and they repeated the transfer over again.

Oh Ocho!

He then returned to the microscope and moved the scope on the word clear….meaning all of the embryos were transferred.

It's Done!



I was moved to the gurney and stayed still for 20 minutes. Following this I was able to get up and return to 48 hours of bed rest at home.

I didn’t really have an idea of what to expect when I was doing all of this and I am so amazed by friends I have that have been through this process several times to be able to have children. It is truly amazing that they just push them out of the straw into the right place and then God’s design takes over.

Needless to say, I didn’t want to cough, I didn’t want to sneeze, I didn’t want to do anything that would cause pressure or tightening.

Keep Running


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s